Steps to disputing your credit report in Canada


You have the right to protest or explain your credit report file in Canada. If you wish to do so, contact the credit reporting agency regarding their dispute resolution process. The websites of Equifax and TransUnion can inform you as to how you can add an explanatory statement to your credit report file.

If you are still not satisfied that your credit file information is correct following the Agency's investigation:

You may wish to contact your territorial / provincial regulator responsible for consumer affairs. These credit reporting agencies fall under territorial / provincial jurisdiction.

You can also contact the Federal Privacy Commissioner in Canada (except in the case of British Columbia, Quebec and Alberta where you should contact the Provincial Privacy Commissioner). The Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) also lays out the ground rules for how private sector organizations can use, collect or disclose personal information in the course of commercial activities. Under PIPEDA, consumers have the right to view personal information that a company holds about them and to correct any inaccuracies. A individual also has the right to file a complaint with the Privacy Commissioner of Canada if they are not satisfied with how a organization is handling their information.

You should be aware that if incorrect information comes from a federally regulated financial institution, the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC) website provides additional information on how to get errors corrected.

Although all information has been written in good faith and reviewed, please email us at [email protected] to report any inaccuracies.