Steps dispute your credit file


In writing, explain to the consumer credit reporting agency, what information you think that is incorrect. Include copies of documents (NOT the originals) that support your claim. In addition to providing your complete address and name, your letter should identify, in a clear manner, every item that you dispute in your report. You should explain and state the facts of why you believe the information is inaccurate, and request that it be corrected or removed. You may want to include a copy of your credit report with the questionable items circled. Send your letter by certified mail (with return receipt requested) so you can document what the consumer reporting agency received. Keep copies of your enclosures and dispute letter.

Usually within 30 days, the consumer credit reporting agencies must investigate the disputed items, unless they consider your dispute to be false. They also must forward all the relevant data you provided about the inaccuracy to the organization that provided the information. After the information provider receives notice of a dispute from the consumer reporting agency, it must review the relevant information, investigate, and then report the results back to the consumer credit reporting agency. If the information provider finds the disputed information is inaccurate, it must notify all three nationwide consumer credit reporting agencies so they can correct the information in your file. When the investigation is complete, the consumer reporting agency must give you the results in writing and a free copy of your credit report if the dispute results in a change. This free report does not count as your annual free credit report. If an item is deleted or changed, the consumer credit reporting agency is not allowed to put the disputed information back in your file unless the information provider verifies that it is complete and accurate. The consumer credit reporting agency also must send you a notice, in writing, that includes the address, name and telephone number of the information provider.

If you ask, the consumer credit reporting agency must send notices of any corrections to anyone who received your report in the past six months. You can have a corrected copy of your report sent to anyone who received a copy during the past two years for employment purposes. If the investigation does not resolve your dispute with the consumer credit reporting agency, you can ask that a statement of the dispute be included in your credit file and in any future reports. You also can ask the consumer reporting agency to provide your statement to anyone who received a copy of your credit report file in the recent past. You can expect to pay a fee for this service.

See a sample credit report dispute letter.

Although all information has been written in good faith and reviewed, please email us at [email protected] to report any inaccuracies.