Information on how to dispute your credit report in South Africa


As a consumer in South Africa under the National Credit Act (NCA), you have the right to dispute inaccurate information contained on your credit report profile. Below are the steps you can follow to dispute inaccurate information on your credit report.

a) First, you must contact the credit reporting agency where the inaccurate information appears and tell them you wish to dispute it. You may contact the appropriate credit bureau below by phone:

TransUnion Consumer and Customer Support Contact Centre on 0861 886 466. Please phone this number to lodge a dispute or query with TransUnion ( More information on TransUnion can be found at )

Experian can be contacted on 0861 10 56 65 ( More information on Experian can be found at )

b) Next, the credit bureau has 20 business days in which to resolve the issue.

c) If the credit reporting agency is unable to resolve the issue, the consumer should refer the matter to the Credit Information Ombudsman (CIO) at ( ).

d) Finally, if the Credit Information Ombudsman be unable to find a resolution, the National Credit Regulator ( More information on the NCR can be found at ) will intervene on the request of the CIO.